Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Royal IVF...

I got swept up in the hype of the Royal wedding last week and really looked forward to watching it. I loved it! The bride looked elegant, I loved the dress, thought Harry was hilarious, thought William was obviously besotted with his Princess, which was very touching. It was all lovely, and a nice change from the "bad news" we seem to so often hear in the news these days.

I had a funny thought though, that I wanted to share with you all. So much hype is resting on this couple - William and Kate - to have children so there can be an heir to the throne. A large part of their wedding service was a prayer asking the Lord to bless them with the gift of children. I know children are an important part of a lot of marriages and unions out there, but I can't remember being to a wedding before, where having children was such a standout issue. Then that made me wonder what would happen if they couldn't have kids. I feel it would be such pressure and 10 times more heartbreaking for a royal to suffer from infertility than "regular people". I wonder whether if IVF was needed would it be "allowed" or frowned upon? Would it be advertised or would it be something that people would feel the need to cover up?

I have no idea to the answers of these questions, but I kind of have an inkling that it might be a bit of taboo. I have to say that while I watched the royal wedding and enjoyed it, a small part of me was just a little bit glad I did not have to be a princess with that sort of expectation on me! Hopefully though, this is not an issue for William and Kate and I wish them a long and happy life, with as many children in their future as they desire.

Have a great week everyone! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. It's so interesting that you would write about this. I too was all wrapped up in watching the Royal Wedding, and I have to admit that I had some of the same thoughts. I don't think I could handle that kind of pressure either!
    It was a lovely event, though!

    ReplyDelete