Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The perfect housewife

That's what I feel like today! I spent my afternoon doing housework and stewing plums lol. Very 1950's! You might have seen on the news that we have had one crazy summer here in Australia. We have had so much rain and therefore we have had flooding in both Queensland and also here in Victoria. The floods in VIC, which is the state where I live, were like nothing I have ever seen before. It was my Dad's 60th bday on Feb 5, and the night before was when it started pouring with rain. I was just driving out of work when it hit, and man was it scary driving in that kind of a downpour! The next day I tried to get to Mum and Dad's house for Dad's party, and what is normally a 10min trip took almost two hours due to roads being flooded and closed. I tried so many different routes and everytime I would almost get to their house, the road would be closed and I would have to turn back. Finally, I got there. Most party guests were able to make it although a handful couldn't due to their streets being flooded, or because their houses had been damaged in the storm the night before.

Why am I telling you all this? Because it explains the stewed plums! These floods have severely affected our fruit crops here in AUS. My little boy is a banana addict and not really keen on many other types of fruit. He is fantastic with veggies but as far as fruit goes, bananas are the only thing he is interested in. Any other fruit is met with a scrunched up nose and a "yuck!". As a result we usually have bananas in our house by the truckload, but now because the banana crops have been so affected they have skyrocketed in price. Instead of being the normal $2.99 a kilogram they are around $8.00 and our normal supply of bananas that I would regularly buy in our shopping trip costs over $20. This inspired me to experiment with different ways to try to get some other type of fruit into my son. It turns out he will eat any sort of fruit if it is stewed, especially if it has a dollop of yoghurt on the top. So my dear mum has taught me how to stew fruit and today I decided to try plums out. I will let you all know the verdict :)

1 comment:

  1. I hope the stewed plums is a success! Wow...that's a lot of rain! Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete